Craziness beyond frontiers

Monday, December 31, 2007

I Guess I Just Wasn't Made for THIS TIMES!!!

To the old version of younger Joe/Zé Bartlett (In Memoriam)
2008
(the year the writer will finally exorcise himself!, and his ego will banish)
...if you banish the thought of something, you stop thinking about it...

1968 (-2)
(1966, the year the song was finally edited)

"I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"– 3:11
Features Brian Wilson on lead vocals
Track 4/Side Two.
Studio Album by PET SHOP BOYS - Pet Sounds
Released:16 May 1966
Recorded: 12 July1965 & 1 November 1965 –13 April 1966
Genre: Baroque pop
Length:36:25
Label:Capitol Records
Producer: Brian Wilson
Lyrics:
I keep looking for a place to fit
Where I can speak my mind
Ive been trying hard to find the people
That I wont leave behind

They say I got brains
But they aint doing me no good
I wish they could

Each time things start to happen again
I think I got something good goin for myself
But what goes wrong
Sometimes I feel very sad
Sometimes I feel very sad
(cant find nothin I can put my heart and soul into)
Sometimes I feel very sad
(cant find nothin I can put my heart and soul into)

I guess I just wasnt made for these times
Every time I get the inspiration
To go change things around
No one wants to help me look for places
Where new things might be found

Where can I turn when my fair weather friends cop out

Whats it all about
Each time things start to happen again
I think I got something good goin for myself
But what goes wrong

Sometimes I feel very sad
Sometimes I feel very sad
(cant find nothin I can put my heart and soul into)
Sometimes I feel very sad
(cant find nothin I can put my heart and soul into)

I guess I just wasnt made for these times
I guess I just wasnt made for these times
I guess I just wasnt made for these times
I guess I just wasnt made for these times
I guess I just wasnt made for these times
I guess I just wasnt made for these times


The album was completed in mid-April and submitted to Capitol shortly thereafter. Brian was immensely pleased with the end result. "I was very proud of that album," he declared. "The reason we made Pet Sounds was because we specialized in certain sounds. It was our best -- the songs were our pet sounds."

The album was not unsuccessful. Caroline No, released as a solo single credited to Brian Wilson, went to #32 in the United States. Sloop John B was a #3 single in the U.S. and a #2 single in Great Britain. Wouldn't It Be Nice charted at #8 in the U.S., while its flip side, God Only Knows, was a #2 single in Britain. The album broke into the Top Ten in the U.S. and just missed the top spot in Britain.

Yet, in the United States, the performance of Pet Sounds was slightly off the mark that had been set by its predecessors. It was the group's first studio album in three years not to be certified as a Gold Record. In the years since its release, the blame has been laid on Capitol Records for failing to understand and support the record to the degree they might have.

"At Capitol Records, I think they were a little bit afraid of it," theorized Carl some years later. "They probably thought they would lose a market, or a segment of people."

"This album was so radical compared to the really nice, commercial Barbara Ann's that we had been making, that they had been so successful in selling, that they just wanted more," explained Bruce. "They didn't promote Pet Sounds, because they said that it wasn't commercial and the people wouldn't understand it. Capitol just didn't think that this was the direction that we should take, so they didn't promote it."
"They just kind of put it out," asserted Mike. "But it kept building and building. Now, it seems that it's a lot of people's favorite album."

No less a talent than Paul McCartney has proclaimed it a personal favorite. "It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water," he recounted in 1990. "I love the album so much."

The Beatles' producer, George Martin, also has sung the praises of the album. "The first time I heard Pet Sounds," he recalled, "I got that kind of feeling that happens less and less as one gets older and more blase ... that moment when something comes along and blows your mind. Hearing Pet Sounds gave me the kind of feeling that raises the hairs on the back of your neck and you say, 'What is that? It's fantastic!' It gives you an elation that is beyond logic."

In 1995, nearly 30 years after the album was released, a panel of some of the most successful musicians, songwriters and producers in rock music was assembled by Britain's MOJO magazine to determine the "Greatest Album Ever Made." When the balloting was completed, the winner was Pet Sounds.
Two years later, the album was accorded yet another honor, when it became one of the few individual albums to which a boxed set has been devoted. The Pet Sounds Sessions, a four-CD package, provided a thorough exploration of the album's construction via tracking session highlights, a complete set of vocal-less backing tracks, a counterpart set of vocals-only mixes, alternate versions of songs, copious documentation and -- most significantly -- a stereo mix of the album.

For many years, Pet Sounds was not available in a true stereo mix. Brian, nearly deaf in one ear, had submitted the album to Capitol only in monaural form. Although Capitol had released an electronically-rechanneled version in the mid-Sixties, a true stereo rendition had remained elusive. Then, in 1996, in conjunction with the album's 30th anniversary, the original master tapes were accessed and a stereo mix finally constructed. Until now, however, that mix has been available only as part of the boxed set. This CD offers the stereo mix, together with Brian's classic mono mix, in a single disc format.

"It certainly was a groundbreaking album," Carl reflected several years ago. "It was just so much more than a record; it had such a spiritual quality. It wasn't going in and doing another top ten. It had so much more meaning than that."
And, of course, it still does.
Surf's up!
Brad ElliottMay 1999
Copyright © 1999 Capitol Records, Inc. All rights reserved.Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws.International copyrights secured.

Liner notes by Brad Elliott. Used by permission of the author.

Theme version for this posting: Nano Casale's Remix @


Pet Sounds
Excerpts from Wikipedia - the free encyclopedia -.
(Article about this Beach Boys album).

I Just Wasn't Made for These Times (song)

"I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" is a song by the Beach Boys from their album Pet Sounds. It is the eleventh song on the album. This song is notable because it is the first use of a keyboard-controlled variation on the theremin - later named the Electro-Theremin or Tannerin - in a rock record. Shortly after this track was recorded, Brian Wilson used the Tannerin on the "Good Vibrations" track.
Wilson stated: "It's about a guy who was crying out because he thought he was too advanced, and that he'd eventually have to leave people behind. All my friends thought I was crazy to do Pet Sounds."
Details
Written by: Brian Wilson/Tony Asher
Album: Pet Sounds
Time: 3 min 11 sec
Produced by: Brian Wilson
Instrumental track: recorded February 14, 1966 at Gold Star Recording Studios, Hollywood, California. Engineered by Larry Levine.
Vocal track: recorded March through to April, 1966 at Columbia Studios, Hollywood, California. Engineered by Ralph Balantin.

Performers
Brian Wilson: Lead Vocals
Hal Blaine: Drums, Tympani, Bongos
Frank Capp: Tympani, Latin Percussion
Chuck Berghofer: String Bass
Ray Pohlman: Electric Bass
Glen Campbell: Guitar
Barney Kessel: Guitar
Don Randi: Piano
Mike Melvoin: Harpsichord
Paul Tanner: Tannerin
Tommy Morgan: Harmonica
Steve Douglas: Tenor Saxophone
Plas Johnson: Tenor Saxophone
Bobby Klein: Tenor Saxophone
Jay Migliori: Baritone Saxophone

Pet Sounds is a 1966 album recorded by American pop group The Beach Boys. It has been widely ranked as one of the most influential record albums ever released, including by Mojo Magazine and New Musical Express, who both rank the album at number one in their all-time lists.

Essentially a solo project for Brian Wilson, Pet Sounds was created after he had quit touring with the band in order to focus his attention on writing and recording. In it, he wove elaborate layers of vocal harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unconventional instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, the Electro-Theremin, and dog whistles, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars.




Photo Credits:
1) Exorcising photos: "El Monstruon" (the drunk/shots maestro!) @ Rubén Dario 2255's living studio on Dec. 31, 2007/Jan 01, 08 - New Years Eve. -
Photo Make Up: Z.B. w/Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0. - Model : "Camel Toe" - Photos belong to Mr. Pinpana's Private Collection: "The lonely anorexic artist once angain and defenetevely in rehab".
2) Surrealistic photos: Berlingeri's private collection @
http://www.berlingieri-photo.com/Index-cast.htm

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this one!!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home